How to Stay Fit While Traveling
We will be the first ones to admit it, our travel itinerary planner doesn’t take staying fit into account! It can recommend some adventurous things to do outdoors but it’s ultimately up to you to take that step of commitment of staying fit while traveling. Well it happens to be one subject that we’re passionate about and we would love to share some tips and tricks on how to stay fit while traveling!
Staying fit is a two-part equation that isn’t really equal, and it’s probably the hardest equation to wrap your head around. Here it is:
20% Exercise + 80% Nutrition = 100% Healthy Lifestyle
- Exercise – many people don’t mind exercise but it happens to be only about 20% of staying fit.
- Nutrition – yes, when you want to relax and put back a few beers on vacation remember that what you eat (and drink) can account for 80% of staying fit.
Just as a reminder: It’s not hard to stay within the means of “good” nutrition on the road as long as you have some self-discipline.
Here are some tips for staying fit while traveling:
- Eat real foods as much as you can
- You know what real foods are, they aren’t the over processed corndog you get on the side of the road that’s covered in a secret sauce
- Remember that liquid calories can be devastation to staying on track for good nutrition.
- Eat lots of vegetables
- Every meal should contain lots of vegetables and at least one source of protein (we opt for legumes or tofu) with a variety of fruits and nuts added throughout the day if possible
- Don’t be too strict or rigid, apply this 80/20 rule to healthy and unhealthy meals too
- Try to make 80% of your meals healthy and then relax for the other 20% of meals and enjoy vacation!
Balance is everything in life! If you eat a grand unhealthy dinner coupled with a night of drinking make breakfast small and healthy with a morning walk or try to incorporate large, healthy salads to even out the calories.
We understand the difficulty of pushing yourself to workout even when you’re in vacation mode. Working with what you have around you and improvising can make a huge difference in your confidence and discipline of this lifestyle as a whole. Chances are if you’re at a public park you have never been to and are working out, there are people who are motivated to break a sweat just like you!
- Walk Daily: Aim for at least 4 miles a day, this way you still burn those extra calories without working out too hard. Or go for a hike!
- Bodyweight exercises (push ups, planks, burpees, lunges, squats, dips)
- This can be expanded if you can find a simple playground (pull ups, suspension trainer)
- These are SUCH a helpful way to add resistance to workouts that you need to make more challenging. There are so many ways to use these and a quick Google search before you start working out is all you need to do before you get into it!
Suspension Trainer Kit
- This is one of the BEST investments for the nomads out there. It’s a lightweight, portable gym that can be set up virtually anywhere and provides a full body workout…seriously what more could you ask for!
Adjustable Jump Rope
- Just 10 minutes of jump rope will but up to 125 calories, strengthens your core, legs and glutes and is the equivalent of 30 minutes of jogging.
- Wake up early and get your workout in because chances are at the end of the day your most likely not going to be in the mood to exercise If you feel that your too tired to workout do it anyways!
- Believe it or not once you start to get your blood pumping you will begin to wake up and get in the zone! Especially if you continue to think about having energy while warming up. Go ahead, give it a try!
But only do as much as you can and most importantly listen to your body. If you are tired from a full day of fun, it is perfectly fine to rest! The last thing you want on vacation is to burn out!
These items and tips are what we follow and use on long trips abroad so that we stay on track with our fitness goals and lifestyle. We hope you find this information helpful and we would love to hear about your experiences while traveling!! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. ??
*Disclaimer* – These are affiliate links that help fund the operation of this website! Every purchase is much appreciated!!!