The Complete Guide To Booking Flights (Part 2)
Figuring out the rules to play the game of finding the best flight online is the most challenging part of travel route planning and now that we have provided some tips in Part One, you probably already feel like you’re a pro at finding deals on flights. Just as we think that technology is helping society become more and more accessible to goods and services, the trickier it is to figure out how to get the most out of your dollar. In this part of The Complete Guide to Booking Flights, we are going to provide you with a list of websites that really helped us find the best flight for us and applications that we currently use on our trips to make them a less stressful! We hope you find this useful!
Websites We Recommend & Why:
- Option to view flights to “everywhere” in the world for the true adventurer
- Shows you different rates for regions around the world which then are expanded by city
- Enter their map view to get a visual of where you could fly to for cheap
- Shows the entire month and price comparisons so you can see the cheapest day to fly out and back
- They will email you price updates on routes you’re interested in.
- Uses information directly from the airlines, hotels, car rentals and vacation bungle companies to provide the most wide-ranging and accurate information
- Broad search engine that finds the cheapest fares almost 100% of the time
- Often will provide flights out and back on different airlines and nearby airports to save you the hassle of looking yourself
- Has a fare calendar too that will show you the monetary difference of moving your trip up or back a few days
- The ANYWHERE feature! We love it because it displays a map showing you different fares to various places around the world for those who don’t know where they want to go next!
- You can also select to leave and return ANYTIME
- Combines all airlines together (including budget airlines) to create cheaper, multiple one way flights
- They also have an explore page to modify and drag a bubble to see certain prices in that area
- We love the compare tool that allows you to select a few different flights and see how they compare with flight information, amenities, plane & seat size, bag and fare information and fees.
- They also have alerts on destinations you are looking at and an explore anywhere anytime feature
- Our favorite thing about Kayak is their themed trips that show flights to destinations with certain tags such as Romantic Escapes, Amazing Beaches, Natural Wonders, UNESCO Sites, Yoga Getaways, Beer Capitals, and many more
- Shows hidden city rates, staying in the layover location rather than continuing onto the actual destination
- Shows both direct and “skiplagged” flights
- Also shows the price history, past and future prices
- Great to use as a comparison tool, but you won’t find the cheapest flight
- Has price graph to compare flight price changes for each day
- Add stopovers/extended layovers to your trip like a little mini vacation on your big vacation, which discount flight by insane amounts.
- You can select your start and end destination with and extended stopover along the way
- Options for your stopover are then shown with either price increases or decreases depending on where your stopover is
- Ex. Your flying to London from JFK and it could save you hundreds if not thousands to have a two-day layover in Stockholm before continuing onto London.
- The bloodhound of airfare alerts with real time price changes
- Real time notifications that can be sent to you right when prices drop
- They have all sorts of information on specific airlines including fees and policies
- Not our favorite site functionality wise but the alerts are nice to get and compare to other sites.
And of course Vital Ventures helps plan and organize all of our trips. After using the trip itinerary planner we always are sure to download out trip to have all of our trip information at our fingertips when we land!
Apps We ALWAYS Use While Traveling!
This free app helps us stay on track with our trip budget! Since we are always abroad we tend to underestimate what we have until we are at the shoe store buying something rather expensive. Plus this app also helps you look at the price of a trip overall so that you can get an idea of what you could do to save money like taking the subway rather than a cab or Uber!
This is not your normal weather app… it’s THE complete weather app. It not only shows you the radar, hourly, and daily weather but EXACTLY what precipitation you will experience for the next 120 minutes. It tells you the different types of allergy levels if your area for the next week as well as trending national and local weather news. The MinuteCast is by far its best feature and we’ve actually made a few dollars betting with strangers about when it might happen to rain, 8 minutes give or take J
If you’re a true explorer, then you know that this will be the most used app of them all. Google Translate offers 103 different languages and about 60 of them can be downloaded to be accessed without data connection and some of them can even help you translate signs!
This one is another self-explanatory app that is a must. From its silly name, this is a public restroom locator and what a better app to have when you’re far away from your hotel! We highly suggest this app for anyone and especially when you have children traveling with you!
Email us at email@example.com to give us any feedback on what you think or what you want to see more of!